Roasted Vegetables with Cranberries
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Grain-Free, Vegetarian
If you are looking for an easy, nutritious and delicious side dish to serve this holiday season, I highly recommend my Roasted Vegetables with Cranberries. This savory and sweet combination pairs nicely with meats and fish, or is a great stand-alone dish for a party. Try something different this holiday season and bring this colorful and healthy dish to your next holiday gathering.
- 1lb. Fresh Brussels Sprouts
- 2 Large Red Onions
- 1 Large Butternut Squash
- 2 C. Fresh Cranberries
- 1/4 C. Sugar
- 1/4C. water
- 4 T Coconut Oil
- Garlic powder
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees and wash your vegetables.
- Start preparing the vegetables by chopping the onions into large pieces, cut the ends off each Brussels sprout and cut into quarters, and cut the butternut squash into cubes and cut off the rind (you can also buy cubed butternut squash at Costco and some grocery stores).
- Once your vegetables are chopped, place them on a baking sheet.
- Place the 4 tablespoons of coconut oil in a microwavable safe bowl and microwave until the oil is melted. Note: the oil may be hot after microwaving.
- Pour the melted coconut oil over the vegetables and mix to evenly coat the vegetables. Season with salt and garlic powder, and place in the oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes stir vegetables. If you like crispier vegetables put the vegetables back in the oven and broil on low until they begin to brown (2-5 minutes depending on your oven).
- As the vegetables are cooking, add the cranberries, sugar and water into a pot and cook them on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- After about 8-10 minutes, the cranberries will begin to darken and burst open forming a sauce. Remove from heat and set aside until the vegetables are done.
- Once the vegetables are done, transfer them to a serving plate and top with the cranberries and sauce.
- Serve immediately.
- If you would like a lower sugar option, only add the cranberries to the roasted vegetables and discard the sauce left in the pan.